Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Baby Collin's birth

Saturday morning at 9 a.m I was just going about my business, setting up the restaurant for the day all alone..prepping food, counting money etc...Singing to myself and having a normal, pleasant morning. Without any warning whatsoever, the scariest thing that has ever happened in my life, happened. My water broke, at only 6 months pregnant!   I made some quick and distraught phone calls, to my obgyn's emergency line to ask what to do, to my boss to let them know i had to leave, to my mom to know if it was really my water breaking and what to do, and of course my husband to say wake up and get to the hospital!   I drove myself to the hospital and after numerous tests, the Dr. came to the conclusion that my water did infact break and there was barely any fluid left.  My tiny baby was still hanging out in my belly, fluidless.  I was immediately put on bed rest and was given rounds of antibiotics and steroids to help protect the baby, and the steroids to try to speed up lung development.  We were visited by Dr. Beal, a neonatologist who gave us all the scary information about what a baby would be like born at 25 weeks..the outcome bleak.  We were told there was a little more than a 50% chance our baby would survive, and if he did survive, he could possibly be blind, deaf, have cerebral palsy or a range of many other complications.   We 'moved' into an anti-pardom room, and after three days (miracle days that helped Collin grow and get the steroids) My inevitable early labor began..
Collin was born on Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 @ 2:17 A.M  He weighed 1lb 14 oz and was 13 1/4 inches long.  He was over 15 weeks early, his gestational age 25 weeks 5 days.  He is considered a micropreemie and will have a long road ahead of him.  No one knows for sure what caused his premature birth.. there is a theory that the drop in barometric pressure from the early snow storm could have been the cause for the rupture.  Collin's early birth was a very scary, yet happy time. The best sound in the world was his very first cry at birth.  It was quickly silenced by a tube for him to be on a ventilator.  But, hearing that sound of him crying was amazing because we did not know if he would be able to breath at all with such underdeveloped organs.  We appreciate all the phone calls, texts, emails, and facebook messages since saturday and since Collin was born.. We decided to start this blog so that we can better inform everyone of what is going on with the baby, so you can all follow us on our journey to healthy and happy!  Thank You for your love & support.. Here's to Collin! xo


3 comments:

  1. Thank you guys for setting this up...makes it a lot easier. Hopefully it will lighten the 10,000 texts during a work day LOL. He is so precious!Grammy (yes I am talking about myself in the 3rd person) loves him sooooo much! and I love you guys as well...I am here no matter what you need! Love, Mom/Grammy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too! Hes so precious! I told your mom shanoah, that if you need help setting the nursery up our anything that I'm your girl! Anything you need help with, you call! Aubrey is starting school monday so I'm completely available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so precious Jason & Shanoah. Please let us know if there is ANYTHING at all we can do to help out. We think of you every day. <3

    ReplyDelete